July 11, 2014

Maggie

When I was a kid, I begged for a dog but never got one until high school when I was old enough to care for it myself. Her name was Itchy (Itchy and Scratchy anyone?) and I had her for about 3 years before we had to give her away. I started taking college classes full time and working part time so I didn't have the time to give her the attention she deserved anymore. Ever since then, I have been waiting for the day that I could have a furry friend again. 

Now that we live in a house and I'm no longer in school, it seemed like the perfect time for us to finally get a dog. With both of us working full time, we decided we didn't want a puppy we would have to potty train, and this gave us a chance to adopt a dog that needed a new home. I had high hopes on getting a pug, dachshund, corgi, or boston terrier. This is where Victor and I had differences. He's more into greyhounds, whippets, or terriers. Basically any dog with with long limbs and long snouts, while I preferred the smooshed face, short leg ged variety. Regardless, we said we'd keep an open mind since we were adopting. 

Eventually, we found Maggie on PetFinder.com. Victor searched for "corgi" and found Maggie along the way. We decided to keep her name. I feel like it's the only name that fits her! She is a 1 1/2 year old corgi and miniature pinscher mix. I thought we should still keep looking, but for some reason Victor was dead set on getting this dog. I guess it was just love at first sight for him. He insisted that I at least meet her which I agreed to. This was totally a trick though because he knew I would fall in love with any dog I met. I'm a total softy and he knew exactly what he was doing!

We met her briefly on a Tuesday, offered to keep her that upcoming weekend to see if she meshed well with us, and then we just ended up keeping her permanently. Best decision ever! Having a dog has changed our lives for the better. Yes, it's more responsibility, but having a dog has fulfilled our lives more than I thought it ever could. I can't even imagine not having Maggie around now that we have her. We love her so much! One of my favorite things is watching Victor interact with her. Can you believe he spoils her more than me?! It's ridiculous but soo so sweet.

Luckily for us, she was already potty trained so we didn't have to worry about that. She has had some accidents, but is much better now that we have a routine going, and she does just fine while both of us are at work during the day. She gets really nervous around new people, but she'll warm up to you quick if you pet her a lot and give her a treat. She's a pretty laid back dog that mostly just likes to cuddle and beg for treats. She's kind of weird around other dogs though. She whimpers if she sees other dogs but goes nuts for squirrels. She doesn't bite but she'll growl under her breath if she doesn't like something. We went to the beach recently and discovered that she HATES water! She freaked out when we put her feet in the water and she kept trying to run away. We think she saw the ocean as one big bath. HAHA. She doesn't know too many tricks yet. So far, all she knows is "sit" and "stay", but we are working on "shake" at the moment. 

Be prepared to see lots more of Maggie around here because I am definitely one of those crazy dog moms now! You can't say I didn't warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment